Less than a week until Christmas! I thought I’d share my Christmas menu plan. I had originally planned to do an extremely healthy meal involving kale salads and a chia pudding for dessert. Then I did the 7 day detox diet and now I need a break from kale salads and I need a little more oomph in my life! The meal that I am making now is still vegan, still reasonably healthy, and still indulgent and special enough to be something I don’t eat often. My one complaint about my first vegan Thanksgiving was that I made foods that I eat often (like stuffed squash) so it didn’t feel very special.
- I will be bringing homemade hummus to the festivities (in case ranch is the only veggie dip option)
- Vegan Lentil & Walnut Loaf from Oh She Glows - this is a bit labor intensive but no more so than a whole Christmas dinner with turkey, casseroles, etc… Plus I plan on prepping a lot of the ingredients ahead of time
- Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes - this is a dish I have perfected. I use the word “perfected” loosely because there’s really nothing to this dish. However, it tastes like traditional mashed potatoes and even my husband likes them (and he doesn’t like anything “vegan”)
- White Vegan Gravy from Daily Garnish – you can’t have a vegan loaf and potatoes without some gravy to drizzle on the top!
- Roasted Vegetable tray (green beans, asparagus, bell peppers, onion….) – gotta get some green in somehow
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from Mama Pea – gotta have a good dessert! Hopefully I’m not the only one who partakes in this pie as I don’t want to have any leftovers. One of my favorite desserts used to be a chocolate cream pie from Marie Callender’s – not the frozen, store-bought kind but a real bakery here in town. My mother-in-law went in recently and asked them if they had any vegan options and the girl just stared at her for a while and said she didn’t even know what vegan is ha! So I have perused the inter-webs for a while now looking for a vegan replacement. This pie appeals to me because it is the first one without tofu. I have tried tofu chocolate pudding before and it’s just not for me.
We still have a little Christmas shopping left to do. I cannot believe we waited so long this year and I know that it will never happen again because it’s absolute mayhem out there folks! On a random side note, check out this completely inappropriate Santa I stumbled on today…Kids, not even Santa can make smoking look cool so just stay away!