One of my favorite healthy living blogs is Healthy Tipping Point from Caitlyn Boyle. HTP’s slogan is: “When everyday decisions add up to something amazing.” I truly believe that small choices can really make a huge difference on your overall health and well-being.
That being said, these are my top 10 daily “must-dos” in order to feel my best:
1. Start the day with 16 ounces of water – no matter what my plans are for the morning I always drink a big glass of water before I do anything else – before I workout, drink coffee, eat breakfast, or whatever else I have going. Overall, make sure to get at least half of your weight in ounces each day…more if you exercise and sweat a lot.
Don’t drink your calories either (says the girl who is obsessed with mocktails lately)…pure water is the best thing to get you hydrated and running well. Make sure you spread it out throughout the day versus chugging a bunch at once, this way it’s easier for your body to assimilate.
2. This may be TMI, but I don’t eat breakfast in the morning until I’ve had a chance to go to the bathroom. Gotta empty the stomach before you fill it. It’s a little lesson I learned from For the GLOW: don’t burden your digestive system any more than you need to.
3. Move – I like to get some sort of daily activity/workout session in every day. This does not mean that I push my body to the limit 7 days a week. This means that I lift weights, run, or simply go for an easy walk. Anything to move your body and sweat – variation is key to continued enjoyment from exercise. Bonus points if I do it first thing in the morning. A rigorous morning workout may make me a bit hungrier throughout the day, but it also makes me more energized and happier as well…a big win in my book!
(there’s a reason the shirt says run happy!!)
4. Dry Brushing – I’ve talked about doing this before. I used to randomly dry brush but I’ve gotten into a routine lately so that I just don’t feel right without it. We recently were out of town for 4 days and I didn’t bring my brush along with me…I felt a bit icky and dry brushed as soon as we got home and felt soooo amazing. Every day before my shower, I spend about 5 minutes dry brushing. Then I hop in and wash off all of the dead skin cells and make sure to moisturize after my shower. My skin has never felt so soft (some even say that it can help with cellulite). For more information on what dry brushing is and how to do it, visit this website.
5. Go for a walk – technically this is the same as “move” but even if I go workout in the gym I make sure to get in a walk at some point in the day. Even just 15-20 minutes of being outside in the fresh air makes me feel great. I like the peaceful time to think and to soak up some vitamin-d from the sun. Not to mention all of the beautiful and inspiring views in our neighborhood!
6. Eat a green smoothie or big salad every day – this is a super easy rule I like to follow to make sure I get in plenty of veggies and greens in my day. Even as a vegan it can be easy to go an entire day eating minimal veggies (scary I know). When I eat more veggies and greens I feel better so I make it a daily priority. Depending on my activity and what I put in it, the green smoothie can be a meal or just a light snack. If you want to feel like a true rock star, have both!
7. Take time to think positive – we are what we think and if we actively take the time each day to think positive and uplifting thoughts, then our entire lives can benefit. One thing I’ve learned from this June Affirmation Challenge is that sometimes I do have to work on being happy and optimistic…but it doesn’t take more than 5 minutes to switch my attitude and mood. If you aren’t comfortable or have trouble thinking of affirmations just Google it…there are so many out there you just might find one that works for you!
8. Do something you enjoy every day – Nothing enriches my life more than doing the things I love on a daily basis. It can be easy to get tied up in school, work, or family life but don’t ever forget to take time for yourself. Do not ever feel guilty about making yourself happy…enjoying your life will help you and those around you. Some of my favorite things that I do daily are spending time in nature, cooking, blogging, snuggling with my cats, hiking, and more.
9. Don’t eat within 2 (3 if possible) hours of going to sleep – this may not work for everyone’s schedule but it makes a tremendous difference to me so I try and do it as much as possible. Calorie/weight-loss wise, it’s what you eat that matters, not when. However, giving my body some time between my last meal and sleep allows my digestive system to get to work. I feel much lighter and more energized in the mornings if I do this. If I eat right before bed, I wake up feeling bloated and backed up (again with the TMI). Give it a try for yourself and see how you feel.
10. Get enough sleep – I function the best on 7-8 hours of sleep (and really really well on 8.5-9 if I can manage it). I just really don’t understand how people can get 5-6 hours of sleep a night and feel good. Too little sleep affects my entire day and makes me very grumpy. Sleep is a non-negotiable part of my healthy lifestyle and I manage my time accordingly. I believe a good night’s sleep sets the foundation for a healthy and happy day.
Sampson & Rockie need 22 hours of sleep a day, minimum
**Remember, what works best for me might not be appropriate for you. I urge you to find your own daily “must-dos” and make them a priority in your life.
Is there a healthy habit that you cannot go a day without?