This morning I woke up bright and early for a workout at the gym. I did shoulders, legs, and core today (workout below) and spent almost 2 hours sweating it out!! I can’t say enough how much I am enjoying my new workout style.
I had been doing circuit-style strength training for a few years but never really saw any results (as far as muscle tone). In just the past few weeks that I have switched to weight training with heavy weights, I have already noticed a huge difference! My muscles (especially my arms) are getting more defined and I love it. My triceps pop and my biceps are getting bigger and harder (now my husband can’t squish them when I flex!).
- Once I got home I was hungry. I chugged a chocolate+water protein shake (sun kitty in the background)
- And followed that up with some peanut butter straight from the jar…
- Just kidding (although I wouldn’t put that past me). These are actually overnight oats in a jar. For those of you who haven’t seen this, you just take the almost empty PB jar and make your overnight oats in this. I added 1/3 cup oats, 1 tbsp. chia seeds, a sprinkling of shredded coconut, 1 cup almond milk, and 1/2 banana and let it sit overnight in the fridge. These are soooo good because you get to scrape the peanut butter from the jar. Best morning ever! I had a Hazelnut Teeccino on the side (caffeine-free herbal coffee).
- Can we talk about how creepy Sampson was while I ate breakfast? He gets super stalker-y about anything eaten out of a container or a bowl. He assumes it is all ice cream (thanks hubby) and will creep on you till you are done so he can try and get in on the action.
- I was out and about in town running errands and dropping resumes through the middle of the day
- So I stopped at Starbucks for a pick-me-up. Iced coffee with soy milk and a fruit energy bar that was gross
- By the time I got home for lunch it was 3pm and I didn’t want to waste time cooking anything so I had a random but easy double lunch
- Part 1 was veggies+hummus
- Part 2 was another protein smoothie (gotta get plenty of protein for my muscle recovery). I put a scoop of protein, 2 cups of coconut milk, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseed in the blender and somehow ended up with over 4 cups of smoothie. And I tried to drink them ALL which was a bad choice. It took me over an hour and I couldn’t finish. That must be some frothy and filling powder!
After lunch I took a lovely nap with Sampson – I can always count on him for some good snuggles
- Woke up hungry so I snacked on some Wasabi Soy Almonds while cooking dinner.
- Hummus patties with a Tzatziki-style yogurt sauce, served over a bed of mixed greens and red onion
- Fresh veggies and pearled couscous on the side
- Don’t worry folks, recipe to come!
- I sliced up a quarter of a pineapple for dessert…my fav!
I started with a 1 mile run for a warm-up
Quick and Simple Shoulders
- Shoulder press with front leg kick
- Bent arm shoulder raise with other arm holding weight straight out
- Front shoulder raise
- Dumbbell shoulder shrug with heavy weights
- Weighted walking lunges
- Squats on bosu ball
- Weighted calf raises
- Side lunges with twist
- Cable pull throughs
- Cable leg press
- Weighted bridge raise
- Weighted crunches on balance disc
- Oblique v-up crunches
- Extended toe touches (legs straight up)
- Reverse crunches
- Russian twist with medicine ball
I ended with 20 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical
Whew…it’s been a long day and even with a midday nap I’m worn out. I will be back tomorrow with a recap of our hike last week. Good night all!